InMotionRobots have been tested by leading medical centers in more than 150, independent controlled clinical trials, including large randomized, double-blind, peer-reviewed clinical studies. This massive amount of independent research has yieled a large body of evidence documenting improved outcomes across a wide range of patient populations:
- Adult and Pediatric patients (4 years and older)
- Acute, subacute and chronic phases of recovery
- Severe, moderate and mild levels of impairment
BIONIK's modular systems approach to neurorehabilitation is designed to optimize the use of robotics and is consistent with the latest neuro-scientific research. InMotion Interactive Therapy serves as an effective adjunct to existing physical and occupational therapy approaches.
In a multi-center, randomized controlled trial involving 127 chronic stroke patients with moderate to severe upper-limb impairment, our assist-as-needed™ therapy demonstrated significant improvement in arm movement, function and quality of life. The study also found that “the improvements provide evidence of potential long-term benefits of rehabilitation and challenge the widely held clinical belief that gains in motor function are not possible for long term stroke survivors.”1
In a controlled clinical study involving 56 stroke inpatients, the motor skills of the robot-treated group improved significantly more than the control group. Analysis showed that interactive robotic therapy significantly reduced motor impairment of the treated limbs, doubling the impairment reduction.2
Our robotic products have exceptional capacity for measurement and immediate interactive response, which sets them apart from other therapy systems.
1. Lo. A.C., et.al “Robot-Assisted Therapy for Long-Term Upper Limb Impairment after Stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, 362:1772, May 13, 2010
2. Volpe, B.T., Krebs, H.I., Hogan, N., Edelstein, O.L., Diels, C and Aisen, M., A Novel Approach to Stroke Rehabilitation Robot-Assisted Sensori-motor Stimulation, Neurology, 54 (2000) 1938-44
“The robot is fun to use… and I’m improving with every session. It’s a phenomenal piece of equipment.”